Job Title: Intake Supervising Attorney or DOJ Accredited Representative
Supervisor: Managing Attorney
Salary: $44,000 - $50,000 (commensurate with experience)
Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The successful applicant must be ready to start ASAP. Interested Applicant: Send cover letter and resume to Edwin Jimenez at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until filled.
Driven by the Jewish value of welcoming the stranger, HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal, resettlement and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society. HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Intake Supervising Attorney will serve as the central point of contact for all new individuals seeking services from HIAS Pennsylvania. The Intake Supervising Attorney may also conduct outreach to eligible populations and stakeholders. Working with intake interns and volunteers, and eventually with dedicated intake staff, the supervisor will be responsible for interviewing or reviewing completed interviews with all prospective clients seeking our services. The Intake Supervisor will be responsible for scheduling cases for agency staff or making appropriate referrals for each caller. The ideal candidate for the Intake Supervising position is someone who works well with a culturally diverse and limited English Proficient clientele and has immigration legal services experience. The position reports to the managing attorney, but works closely with each of the program supervisors.
- Create a system for interviewing all prospective clients by phone or in person, using Language Line when needed, to review their eligibility for service that ensures reasonable access to our services throughout the year;
- To the extent that the system created relies on interns or volunteers, work with our community engagement specialist to recruit and train these interns or volunteers and supervise the interns and volunteers;
- Review and/or complete all initial assessments to determine appropriateness of case for the agency, language needs and, financial eligibility for service;
- Ensure that a preliminary conflicts check is performed and that intake information in the agency’s case management system is input efficiently and accurately;
- Ensure that all relevant documents needed for a complete assessment are collected and that comprehensive case summaries are prepared;
- Coordinate scheduling of cases for comprehensive service with immigration specialists and attorneys;
- Provide information, advice, pro bono or other referral for cases where HIAS PA is unable to provide direct representation or comprehensive services;
- Ensure that callers who require other human services are referred either internally or to appropriate agencies;
- Ensure that a central database of referral sources and information is maintained with up to date and accurate information;
- Prepare regular reports on new clients seeking services including nationalities, age and gender demographics, programs of enrollment and referrals;
- Establish and maintain relationships with project stakeholders including community-based organizations, social service organizations, immigration professionals, and legal service providers. This includes attendance at professional or provider meetings;
The candidate should be passionate about HIAS PA’s mission and history and have a demonstrated ability to work with diverse collaborators and stakeholders. In addition, the candidate should possess:
- JD Degree or DOJ Accreditation with two to four years of experience working with immigrant populations providing immigration legal services.
- Bi-lingual Spanish-English speaking skills (preferred)
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Passion for working in a diverse community
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently/collaboratively
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database management
- HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
This is an exempt position; salary is commensurate with experience.